Hair coloring for men has become a popular trend in recent years, so more and more guys want to try it out. However, they still often don’t know how to approach this topic and how to actually dye their hair. Does this concern you as well? Then you’re in the right place – we’re going to introduce you to the world of hair coloring for men and explain how to handle it yourself at home – just read this article and find out all the answers to your questions!
What You’re Working with
Before you start, it’s important to understand your hair type and what you want to achieve with hair coloring. Why are you coloring your hair in the first place – do you want to cover some grays or just change your looks? What type of hair do you have (don’t know – ask your barber)? What color do you want to choose? You need to have the answers to these questions before actually purchasing your first box of dye.
Choosing the Right Hair Dye
We know that the division into male and female dyes might be misleading, so let us state one thing – in most cases, you can use women’s hair colors. There aren’t many (or even any) differences in the formula, so this part doesn’t matter.
What matters really is the shade you want to achieve and your current hair color. These two will determine which particular dye you want to choose. Again, if you have any concerns, ask your barber, and if they don’t know the answer, perhaps you should schedule consultations with your wife’s/girlfriend’s hair colorist?
Hair coloring can be messy, whether for men or women. Thus, you should be well-prepared. Get some old clothes on, make sure that you won’t stain anything around you, and prepare a towel that you can, actually, stain – it’ll help you eliminate or mitigate the damage. Don’t worry if something does happen, there are many ways in which you can remove hair dye stains, though they will require a bit of extra effort.
Applying Hair Coloring: Step-By-Step Guide for Men
Follow the steps below and the application process will be easy and quick:
- Mix the dye – Follow the instructions to mix the dye. Make sure to use the provided gloves to protect your hands.
- Section your hair – Use clips to divide your hair into sections. This makes the application process more manageable and ensures even coverage.
- Apply the dye – Start applying the dye to each section, following the instructions provided in the kit. Use the comb to ensure the dye is evenly distributed.
- Timing – Leave the dye in your hair for the recommended time. This varies depending on the brand and your desired color intensity. Keep closely to the suggested time; consider setting up an alarm.
- Rinse and condition – Once the processing time is up, rinse your hair thoroughly until the water runs clear. You should also use a good quality conditioner to keep your hair hydrated.
We hope that now you know everything about hair coloring for men, and doing it yourself is now a piece of cake for you. Remember that after coloring your hair you need to maintain it. This includes using a color-safe shampoo, a good conditioner, hair toners and other similar products.